iGive to UNTAMED SPIRIT Therapeutic Riding & Educational Program

iGive.com
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Children's books....

     Once upon a time, I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to do some work in a friend's bookstore. Ordering children's books. Pretty much, the perfect job in my opinion. A source of pleasure and renewal during a particularly difficult time, I found a great deal of enjoyment reading,  searching out and ordering children's book (a passion of mine). I met many authors and illustrators and enjoyed their stories of how their work comes to fruition. Anyone who looks at a children's book and thinks it must be 'child's play' to write one, to illustrate one would come to learn that all is not quite as simple as it seems.

     The Caldecott Medal is named for Randolph Caldecott, the 19th century illustrator.
(an example of Caldecott's work)



     The Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association picks one picture book each year as the Medal winner, with several other books getting Honorary Mentions.
     While I must confess, I don't always agree with the winners, there are many that I wholeheartedly cheer for. The Polar Express and Owl Moon being particular favorites of mine.

2012's winner is a lovely little storybook -

A Ball for Daisy
     Being a pushover for terrier type dogs, I think the illustrations of Daisy and her adventures are captured very cleverly.
     If you have a favorite Caldecott winner I would love to hear from you.





1 comment:

  1. i bet working in a bookstore would be an amazing job. i think i'd like that too....altho i'd probably "browse" too much and get fired! haha

    ReplyDelete