iGive to UNTAMED SPIRIT Therapeutic Riding & Educational Program

iGive.com
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Any Curious George fans out there?


Volunteering at the public library offers me the opportunity to see so many books that I might not have a chance to see (specifically, children's books - as my kids are both grown up now). So, whenever I come across a book that I particularly like I check it out to read myself!

Anyone who hears the name 'Curious George' no doubt pictures that little rascal monkey and the man in the yellow hat who have delighted children for many many years.

I just discovered a book titled "The Journey That Saved Curious George" - The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey, by Louise Borden, illustrated by Allan Drummond.

This book includes photographs, diary entries and other ephemera from the journey taken by the Reys as they join the massive exodus of refugee fleeing Paris as the German army approached. Via bicycle and on foot they made their way to Lisbon and eventually to safety. Carrying few possessions in their bike baskets, they saved most of the space for their precious work about Fifi the Monkey's adventures. I like books for children that include real elements along with illustrations. (Can anyone not go gaga for Linnea in Monet's Garden? gorgeous book!)

Fifi would later become George, and the writing/artistic duo would give the world that little monkey for generations to love.

Here is a link to the Houghton Mifflin press release about the book if you would like to look for yourself. -http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/booksellers/press_release/borden/

No comments:

Post a Comment