iGive to UNTAMED SPIRIT Therapeutic Riding & Educational Program

iGive.com
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

TAPT - The Ladies of Ferris Avenue




Just got this great old photo of a group of ladies who posed for the camera on the porch of Grandma Cornell's house. 

Grandma Cornell on chair.
Left to Right, neighbor, My mother Minnie Cornell, Mrs. Rate and Aunt Flora Cornell on Ferris Avenue, 1912.

When I saw this photo, it reminded me of my maternal great grandmother in a photo I once saw of her sitting on the front steps of her house with some of her children.  She was even dressed in a similar fashion to Mrs. Cornell. And, I just realized something,  she was old then, or rather she looked quite old then, and her kids were young people.  I think women aged so much faster in those days.  The amount of work and responsibilty that women shouldered then is mind boggling.

Front porches were a staple of houses in the New Orleans I lived in..  My paternal grandparents sat on their front porch every morning and afternoon, to wave to their friends and neighbors, going to and coming from work. Or other activities they may have been up to.   They knew who was up to what and even sometimes WHO they were up to it with!  (In those day, if a kid was very quiet, they could learn lots and lots of things!!!)  

I love old photos, they prompt memories of our own that we may not have taken out and enjoyed for a long time.

Hope you like this one.

1 comment: